I just had to start off my culinary section with my absolute go-to recipe for baking time. I know it’s not the most adventurous but it’s reliable and really quite easy – anyone can take this and recreate the perfect zingy cake or simply adapt the basic recipe to bake your own yummy creation. If this works in the African bush when baking for over 20 with no measuring scales, it can work anywhere!
- 220g self raising flour
- 220g golden caster sugar (plus extra for drizzle)
- 220g unsalted butter
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 large lemons
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar and softened butter until pale and creamy, when you think you’ve mixed it enough, beat it a bit more.
- With the mixer on its slowest speed, add the eggs one at a time
- At the same speed, add the flour one tablespoon at a time then stop mixing to prevent loss of air bubbles from the mixture
- Add the juice of half a lemon and the zest of a whole lemon, mix just enough, again to not lose air
- Bake for 45 mins
- Allow to cool then using a skewer make several holes in the cake
- Mix the juice of 1.5 lemons and add tablespoons of sugar until no more dissolves then pour over the cake
Serving suggestion: a big chunk + strong tea on a sunny afternoon = perfection